Tuesday 3 January 2012

Back to work

So I have a bit of a problem at work.  I may have to go to Texas for a couple of months...and I may not.  If I don't, I can expect to be promoted in six to twelve months.  If I do have to go to Texas, I can expect to get promoted 3 years from the time I get back from Texas.  All of this hinges on a decision that has been made and re-made for the last three months or so.  But it has been talked about for years.  We will say that if I have to go to Texas, that is decision A.  If I don't have to go, that is called decision B.

The last that I heard the decision was about to be re-made in favor of decision A.  But the last official word was in favor of decision B.  When that official word came down.  I thought that the best thing for me to do was jump on the first trip that I could in order to shorten the time till I get promoted.

Well, now there is the possibility that I will go to Texas and half way through they will decide the other direction and...this whole thing makes my head hurt.

I guess if you boil it down to the bottom line it is this.  I might have to leave my wife and daughter for several months, or I might not have to.  I might need to do it even if I don't have to right away to ensure that my career can advance.  But all of these "might"s are going to turn into decisions very shortly and I need to make a decision.  Unfortunately, that is one of my shortcomings.  Let's hope I make the right one.

1 comment:

Goofy Granny said...

Go get it over with. Then if A happens you'll get promoted and the time away will, after you struggle through the separation part, will end up being a story you tell your friends. And if B happens,you will have completed the training and be thankful you got started ahead of the other people who waited. Thus, in 3 years be the first on the list for promotion. Either way, if the training is about your career and this is the career you choose, it wouldn't be a waste. The older Delilah gets, the cuter she will be, and the harder it's going to be to leave. I'm not sure you were asking for an opinion, but you know me, I always have an opinion.